Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Can We Sit With Mystery?

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable His judgements,
and His paths beyond tracing out!
Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been His counselor?
Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay them?
For from Him and through Him and for Him
are all things.
To him be the glory forever!
Amen.

When I was younger, I used to want to know everything. I mean, EVERYTHING. The how, why, what, who, and when all needed to be clearly explained to me so that I could be on top of it all.

But not everything can be completely understood.

Especially God.

And now I find that comforting.

If something is black and white, boiled down to a tidy answer, then I feel like I've got it under control, that I am knowledgeable enough to stand my own ground. If ever I thought that about God, then He would cease to be the Originator, the Creator, the Sustainer, and become an icon or a vending machine.

Yesterday someone told me that knowing God is like standing on the edge of a beach by the seaside. You can see a small section of the ocean, enough to know that it is complex beyond what your eyes can see, that it extends deep and wide and across much more that your limited senses can grasp, that the possibilities of the ocean are endless, and that we are only seeing one tiny view of what the ocean really is... but that we can comprehend enough to know that it IS the ocean.

How much do I think I KNOW about God?

Thankful today that I can sit with mystery, that God is not something we can fully grasp.

~ Counting Down to Easter Day By Day ~




No comments:

Post a Comment