Thursday, May 24, 2012

Renewing My Strength

Even after reading a review that expressed several hesitancies about Ann Voskamp's book "One Thousand Gifts", I still believe that there have been more benefits than detriments in following her journey, at least for me. The best and foremost thing that has come from reading her book is my increasing awareness of how very much I am blessed every day. Always keeping on the lookout for what I can give thanks turns me towards the One Who Blesses. As a result, I am more drawn to pursue my relationship with Him. I want to see His goodness and love in all of my life, not just at church on Sunday morning or when I'm reading my Bible or when I'm feeling particularly "holy". What a joy to see God's hand in the little and the large!

My life right now is full of good things. Cultivating a life of gratitude is one of the many ways the Shepherd can use to gently lead me in paths of grace when times get rough, as I know they will at some future point. Nobody's existence is perfect or easy. I thank the Lord for the times of peace, though, when He renews my strength with blessings.

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary; His understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength.

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall.
But those who wait for the Lord will renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles;
They shall run and not grow weary; 
They shall walk and not faint.

~ Isaiah 40:28-31

26. Our first printer/copier machine

27. Frozen York Peppermint Patties

28. Basil growing in my herb pots

29. Husband studying the book of Joshua at the men's group

30. Guitar ensemble's final concert of the season at the retirement community

31. Clear notes from the mandolin

32. Baby birds singing to be fed in their nests

33. Air conditioning in the car

34. Happy dreams about the baby

35. Not having to set a wake-up alarm

36. Pancakes with boysenberry syrup

37. Last week of teaching before maternity leave begins

38. Conversation with my love during breakfast

39. The blessing of memorized Scripture

40. Friendly dog at Starbucks

4 comments:

  1. I read that review the other day, too. I haven't quite finished the book yet, so I don't have an opinion on the one chapter in particular he was uneasy about in an intimate sort of way, but after reading the comments, other reviews, and especially Ann's blog http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/05/how-to-really-survive-a-heart-attack/ I'm still blessed by it. I don't think she is a mystic or pantheist or leading people astray. My opinion of the book so far is that it is a poetic plea to gratefulness and training eyes to see God's goodness in everything. I haven't seen an aberration of God's Biblical character or truth. I do respect and usually agree with Challies' opinion on many things, but he is merely a man with exactly that - an opinion. I do hope that it doesn't deter other women from reading the book and forming their own. I have gained much from a plethora of authors with different theologies and backgrounds: Lewis, Chesterton, Nouwen, Wright... I wouldn't agree with all (or even a lot) of their beliefs, but surely my understanding and relationship with our Creator has been deepened by their insights. As long as we measure everything by His inspired, inerrant and infallible Word, we have freedom.

    I am grateful you are cultivating the soil of gratefulness before our little one comes along. Children have a way of tilling our gardens ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your mom just called dibs on your kid by referring to it as 'ours'. Now THAT was a smooth dibs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Ryan, you are right - funny you picked that up ;) I actually got that from Em. The last time we were in St. Louis, Alyssa had said something about "my" baby and Em indignantly piped up, "It's not just yours, it's part of our family, too!" So we've been calling the little bug "ours".

      Delete
  3. I'm okay with the baby being "ours" : ) I like the phrase "cultivating the soil of gratefulness", mom!

    ReplyDelete