Saturday, May 12, 2012

Open Places in Which to See

"With memories of gravestones, of combing fingers through tangled hair, I wonder too... if the rent in the canvas of our life backdrop, the losses that puncture our world, our own emptiness, might actually become places to see.
To see through to God.
That that which tears open our souls, those holes that splatter our sight, may actually become the thin, open places to see through the mess of this place to the heart-aching beauty beyond. To Him. To the God whom we endlessly crave." From Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts.

One of the Big reasons I wanted to start this project was because of this quote. Because this has been a soul-wrenching year in which I have seen the truth of what Voskamp writes. That the deep, dark places that seem scary and fearful are in fact places where we can see the grace of God. That is something for which I am truly thankful. I didn't think that I could be thankful for the heartache and pain... but this turns out to be a good place in which to see...

... the color orange...

 ... the possibility for joy in dark places...

... the beauty of honeysuckle dancing on the air...

... soul-nourishing laughter shared with good friends...

... the delight of curling up in a warm bed...

... the wonder of chickens...

I look forward to seeing and experiencing so many more things in which to delight and give thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you and Alyssa are doing this together! May you experience the peace of God through thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete