Sunday, May 27, 2012

Taste and See that the LORD is Good

It seems like a lot of my list this week was centered around my senses, especially food. There is a sense in which too much of my life is centered around food, or around my own desires, my wants and whims. So, I've been thinking about the idea of self-denial, of blinking the sleep from my eyes in order to see better what has already been given. Maybe even to see what I am lacking and must open my hands for the Father to fill. Yet, I also see here little tastes of what is good and beautiful... of God's greatness, goodness and generosity to our creature-ness...

...a glass of wine at the end of a hard day...

...the spicy smell of basil plants...

...thirty-six years of my family (Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!)...

...the sharp bite of crunchy gingersnaps, memories of my Mimi...

...opening a new book...

...the spicy heat of salsa and pork...

...giving good gifts to dear friends...

...a good movie late on a Friday night...

...morning coffee with Lyssa, excitement for Pip's arrival...

...walking long distances again after resting my sore knee for many weeks...

...His body and blood are real yet spiritual gifts, the mystery of His table...

...encouragement to prepare for difficulty, to to grow strong in the Lord...

...rest...

...the smell of apricots ripening...

...God's Word, the power of life and death, resting in my hands...

...the smell of freshly baked chocolate cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment