Sunday, June 16, 2013

There Was Evening, and There Was Morning

O Lord, we commune with thee every day,
but week days are worldly days,
and secular concerns reduce heavenly impressions.
We bless thee therefore for the day sacred to our souls
when we can wait upon thee and be refreshed...

O God, we bless thee, our creator, preserver, benefactor, teacher,
for opening to us the volume of nature
where we may read and consider thy works.

Let us not live uncertain of what we are, of where we are going.
Bear witness with our spirit that we are thy children;
And enable each one to say, 'I know my redeemer'.
Bless us with a growing sense of this salvation.
If already enlightened in Christ, may we see greater things;
If quickened, may we have more abundant life;
If renewed, let us go on from strength to strength.

~ The Valley of Vision, First Day Morning and Evening excerpts

How many times do I feel piety on Sunday morning, then wake up on Monday to snap at my husband, sigh over the dirty dishes, grumble about changing diapers, and complain as I anticipate the challenges of the week ahead? How I desperately need to learn how to live each day, all day, confident in who God truly is and who I am truly meant to be.

Religion can be an outward show at a prescribed time, a forced way of behaving for others to see. I don't want to just be a Sunday morning believer. Real love for God is keeping the mind and soul fixed on him when it is most difficult, when I most want to serve myself. It is letting Him be my every-minute Teacher. The Spirit whispers, "is this love?" and the walls crumble, leaving my heart tender and defenseless.

What am I?

A child.

Open.

Looking for greater things.

Waiting.

Growing.

Blessed.
Following the Path Where It Leads

Here is how it Started. 

2 comments:

  1. When I was bringing up my children, I became familiar with a saying that helped put things into perspective. "Lord, turn the routines of work into celebrations of love." It still can be an ongoing struggle but GOD is full of grace as long as I am not presumptuous.
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful phrase! I definitely want to remember that. It's going on a notecard right now so that I can put it where I'll see it during the day : ) Thank you, Dot!

    ReplyDelete