Thursday, June 20, 2013

Faith for the Thousandth Time

Thou hast witnessed to us thy grace and mercy
in the bounties of nature,
in the fullness of thy providence,
in the revelations of Scripture,
in the gift of thy Son,
in the proclamation of the gospel.

Bring us into that state which attracts thine eye,
and prepare us to receive the proofs of thy love.

May we be rich in faith,
strong in faith,
live by faith,
walk by faith,
experience the joy of faith,
do the work of faith,
hope through faith.

Perceiving nothing in ourselves,
may we find in the Saviour
wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, redemption.

~ The Valley of Vision, Fifth Day Morning and Evening excerpts

Talking with a friend last night, late late late over frozen custard, we pondered what it meant to stand strong in the face of any kind of temptation. "I'm pretty confident that my beliefs are firm," said my friend. "Even in the middle of a situation that would test my resolve, I would hope that I'd follow my moral convictions and overcome temptation."

"But what about the tenth time the temptation happened? The twentieth? What happens when our convictions are worn down, when we start justifying slip-ups in thought, then in deed?" was the next question.

We were silent, thinking about how weak we individually knew ourselves to be. Our conversation was about one aspect of character, but the greater implications affect my whole existence. When the going gets tough, will I stand faithful the tenth time I'm tested? The twentieth? The hundredth? Do I really have faith that can move a mole-hill, let alone a mountain?

Let's not count the past moments when my courage to stand up for what I believe has already been oh-too-easily cast aside out of fear, the desire for approval, uncertainty, laziness, selfishness.

This human mind-body of mine is frail.

The older I get, the more I realize that I am already more than worn down: I need wisdom; need strength; need hope; need change. I lean on the Spirit like the arm of a helping friend throughout the day, because my own spirit fails me too often.

I guess that's faith?

Today I am grateful for the Keeper, who gives faith to stand strong even the thousandth time I am tested.

Following the Path Where It Leads
The Start

The First Day: There was Evening, and There was Morning

The Second Day: Thy Bounty is Seen

The Third Day: Peace from the Keeper

The Fourth Day: Blessed be Thy Name


No comments:

Post a Comment