Thursday, May 17, 2012

Journey Into Joy

"There it is- the secret to living joy in every situation, the full life of eucharisteo... I would have to learn eucharisteo- learn to live it fully. Learn it like I know my skin, my face, the words on the end of my tongue. Like I know my own name. Learn how to be thankful- whether empty or full. Could the list teach me even that hard language? Over time? Gratitude in the midst of death and divorce and debt- that's the kind of language I've got to learn to speak- because that's the kind of life I'm living, the kind I have to solve. If living eucharisteo is the key to unlocking the mystery of life, this I want. I want the hunt, the long sleuth, the careful piecing together. To learn how to be grateful and happy, whether hands full or hands empty. That is a secret worth spending a life on learning." ~ Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts

This year has been a journey for me into the meaning of Trust. Although I have been learning how to trust in many different ways, the main focus has been giving up my worries, fears, and pride so that I can come to fully trust in God. Because when I try to rely on my own weak, foolish self, nothing really works out well in the end. What is the point of learning Trust? To find relief from fear by relying on God's strength. But even more than that, to experience fullness of joy. Only love and perfect trust can bring true joy. I don't seek to replace fear with a feeling of power or dominance. Instead, I want to encounter the kind of joy that Paul talks about in Philippians 4:

"Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ."

Not be anxious about anything? That sounds wonderful. Complete, utter peace? That sounds even better. I want to "live fully", as Ann Voskamp writes, by letting go of my failures and worries. Rejoicing is a way of reaching with both hands for love. Joy comes from experiencing love. What kind of things should occupy my mind, then, if those are the sort of thoughts I wish to occupy my heart and mind with? Paul goes on:

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

The Lord of Hosts meets these standards completely as nothing else can. However, there are many small things in this life that can give us just a tiny glimpse of the joy yet to come. Learn to place my Trust in God... let Him take away my fears... draw closer to Him through prayer and the Word... taste  the depths of His love... and WITH THANKSGIVING come to Him. That is the definition of eucharisteo: "thanksgiving", also combining the Greek words "charis", grace, with "chara", joy. Thanksgiving brings gratitude, which turns me back to the One Who Provides.

This list of a thousand blessings, big and small, is part of my Trust journey. It is a delving deep into giving thanks for grace, blessings, so that I may draw closer to the Source of Joy.

1. Cold, clean drinking water in my sink 


2. Windows open for spring breezes 


3. A friend who is set on fire for shared gratitude 


4. New bathroom floor that doesn't leak 


5. Sleeping in on a Friday morning 


6. Chipmunk friend on the back porch 


7. Beautiful mother visiting for Mother's Day weekend 


8. Forest-friends themed bedroom for the baby-to-come 


9. Extra income from the garage sale 


10. Closets and rooms cleared of junk 


11. Family helping in times of need 


12. Fresh blueberries in pancakes 


13. Sharing words during church about God's grace in transitions 


14. New orange-autumn paint on the wooden toy box 


15. Sauteed onions sizzling in the cast-iron pan 


16. Nursery all prepared for the little one, just waiting to be occupied 


17. Antique store treasure hunts (successful) 


18. Celtic green place-mats 


19. Apple juice with ice when I am parched 


20. Substitute teachers for my guitar students during maternity leave 


21. Cool early mornings in May 


22. Biographies of true Christ followers 


23. My favorite black pen 


24. Husband sleeping peacefully 


25. Sweet flavor of Ovaltine for a glass of milk

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for you, my daughter. Thank you for sharing this book with me and the vision for intentional thanksgiving. May we grow ever more grateful together!

    ReplyDelete