Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Coming to Rest in "Mystery"

Most people like a good mystery. At least in stories or movies, as long as the mystery has a definite solution to provide closure and satisfaction at the end. But what about real life mystery? What about the kinds of mystery that involve our own lives, the mysterious questions of "who am I", "what is my purpose", "why do these things happen to me"? Even deeper than that is the question "is there Someone out there who has planned these Mysteries, and knows the answers to them"?

I've been pondering "mystery" this week. Our church has been meditating on the first fourteen verses of Ephesians, with verses nine and ten being used as a passage for memorization:

"In all wisdom and insight God has made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His purpose, which He set forth in Christ, as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in Him, things in heaven and things on earth."

It's a relief to realize that some things are MEANT to be a mystery, because in spite of my imperfections and mistakes and confusion, God has a purpose for all things in His perfect wisdom. Even if I can't understand all the ups and downs of my life, there is comfort knowing that "for all those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose."



71. Surprise gift card from grandparents

72. Learning to focus on the sweetness of my blessings by deliberately choosing gratitude over resentment in the tough places

73. The love of my Heavenly Father

74. Five bottles of my favorite barbecue sauce on sale for less than a dollar each

75. Finding a surprise stash of yarn for sock-knitting that I'd forgotten about

76. Date night with Chris seeing Shakespeare in the Park: Othello

77. Rainstorm cooling the air

78. Bedroom organized and rearranged, with bassinet all ready

79. Midwife visiting our apartment for my prenatal appointment

80. Raccoon friends from the forest

81. Messages of reassurance from God when I lie sleepless

82. Alec's beautiful guitar playing at the benefit concert

83. Fresh vegetables at the Soulard Farmer's Market

84. Good wishes from everyone for my and the baby's health

85. Chris's employee discount card at the grocery store

No comments:

Post a Comment