Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cultivating Gratitude: Thank You, Mumford and Sons

When I honestly look at the state of my heart, it can be depressing. No matter how good I think I am there is always more "messed-upedness", as I call it, hiding (or not hiding) around the corner.

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine
Together we will see what we will find
Don't leave me alone at this time
For I am afraid of what I will discover inside

Last week I couldn't find gratefulness. Nothing particular was wrong. I was getting over a cold, Harmony was a bit fussy, and I could tell as I looked out into the morning light that my attitude was one of bitterness, defeat, and selfishness.

Darkness is a harsh term don't you think?
And yet it dominates the things I see

I first turned to friends on Facebook and asked them to tell me what they were grateful for. And, you know, the outpouring of blessings they listed was the initial jarring out of my ungratefulness that I needed. Secondly, I saw reminders all around my apartment, quotes and Scripture and hymns, that speak of What is True. Thirdly, the songs of Mumford and Sons invigorated my musician's soul while their lyrics brought me to my knees as they spoke of the reality of Love, both now and to come, both human and heavenly.

It seems that all my bridges have been burned
But you say that's exactly how this grace thing works
It's not the long walk home that will change this heart
But the welcome I receive with every start

Fourthly, I was drawn back to my list of gifts. Sometimes the notebook I write blessings in gets covered by papers and junk on my desk, and then I forget to be thankful. So the daily task of dusting off of my heart to find gratitude once more begins anew.

Stars hide your fires
These here are my desires
And I will give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found
With my stake stuck in this ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul

Everything around me is full of reminders that I am blessed. Thank God for the gift of open eyes to see them! Or, rather, thank God for OPENING my eyes to see them. Every day is a new chance to be thankful. Every day brings a new opportunity to bow before the Giver of all good and acknowledge him.

~ Learning from the calm, organized, kind leadership of other women

~ Beautiful could-not-ask-for-better weather on the day of our church's anniversary picnic

~ Going to the Strange Folk Festival (after four years of missing it)

~ Enjoying the laughter and energy of Harmony as she learns to play hide and seek

~ Postcards in the mail from friends

~ New electric guitar that Chris won in a work raffle

~ Learning again the importance of not judging others (Romans 2:1-4)

~ My student Ana playing in Jason Vieaux's master class

~ Harmony waking up and coming to find me with a smile

*lyrics from the Mumford and Son's song "Roll Away Your Stone"




No comments:

Post a Comment